Monday, June 22, 2009

DEMOLITION DOLL RODS DEBUT

(This is a re-post from early 2007)

In 1994, for about five minutes, I fashioned myself a budding record label entrepreneur to some extent. I'd heard pals wax rhapsodically about how incredibly easy and cheap it was to put out a 45, and for the most part - since I put out or helped put out all of two - it totally was. I started a label called WOMB RECORDS, and was lucky enough to be allowed to put out MONOSHOCK's first record, "Primitive Zippo" - a searing, wild-ass overloaded mindfuck that kicks off their posthumous CD, a disc that you simply must get. What was I gonna do next? Well, I kind of knew the folks in the GORIES a little bit, as I'd interviewed them for the fanzine I did in the early 90s, and I also met & hoisted beverages with Dan(ny), their guitarist, in Detroit in 1993. My friend Anthony, who ran PAST IT RECORDS and was in the Icky Boyfriends at the time, also knew Danny & the flaunting ladies from his brand new band, the DEMOLITION DOLL RODS. We decided to team up and put out their debut 7"EP together, so it ended up being a Womb/Past It co-production.

What was cool was that the two of us got to pluck the songs that would kick off this still-active band's recording career from a tape they gave us, and the Doll Rods gave us full rein to select our favorites, track order, etc. I think we chose pretty well. The band never really touched the Gories for raw, unadulterated stripped-down soul power, but I feel to this day that this is the closest that they came. It sold well enough that Anthony & PAST IT did a solo re-press of another 500 copies with a blue-tinged cover; I opted out and threw in the towel for record mogulship. If you ever see the black-and-white cover pictured here, that's the one that we did. If you never see it, well, here are the songs.

Play The Demolition Doll Rods, "We're The Doll Rods"



Download DEMOLITION DOLL RODS - "We're The Doll Rods" (Side A, Track 1)
Download DEMOLITION DOLL RODS - "Give It Up" (Side A, Track 2)
Download DEMOLITION DOLL RODS - "No Tickets, No Passes" (Side B)

1 comment:

defekto said...

Thanks for sharing and caring...Nice to hear this first Doll Rods single.